1. Overview of the Immune System. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. https://www.niaid.nih.gov/research/immune-system-overview. Updated December 30, 2013. Accessed August 20, 2019.
2. Immune System. kidshealth.org. https://kidshealth.org/en/parents/immune.html. Accessed August 20, 2019.
3. Fletcher J. How to stay healthy with a weak immune system. medicalnewstoday.com. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/324930.php. Updated April 10, 2019. Accessed August 20, 2019.
4. How can Chiropractic care effect the immune system? allamericanhealthcare.net. https://allamericanhealthcare.net/how-can-chiropractic-care-effect-the-immune-system/. Accessed August 20, 2019.
5. Does Chiropractic Strengthen Immunity? Abundant Life Chiropractic. Accessed March 12, 2020. Retrieved from https://healthsourcelombard.com/does-chiropractic-strengthen-immunity/.
6. Cruciferous vegetable. cancer.gov. https://www.cancer.gov/Common/PopUps/popDefinition.aspx?id=CDR0000044963&version=Patient&language=English. Accessed August 20, 2019.
7. Wong C. The Health Benefits of Diindolylmethane. verywellhealth.com. https://www.verywellhealth.com/health-benefits-of-diindolylmethane-89447. Updated February 10, 2019. Accessed August 20, 2019.
8. Yang S. Compound in broccoli has immune-boosting properties, finds new study. UC Berkeley News. https://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/2007/08/20_broccoli.shtml. Published August 20, 2007. Accessed August 20, 2019.
9. Xue L, Pestka JJ, Li M, Firestone GL, Bjeldanes LF, et al. 3,3’-Diindolylmethane Stimulates Murine Immune Function In Vitro and In Vivo. J Nutr Biochem. 2008;19(5):336-344. doi: 10.1016/j.jnutbio.2007.05.004.
10. Jagetia GC, Aggarwal BB, et al. “Spicing Up” of the Immune System by Curcumin. Journal of Clinical Immunology. 2007;27(1):19-35. doi: 10.1007/s10875-006-9066-7.
11. Wilken R, Veena MS, Wang MB, Srivatsan ES, et al. Curcumin: A review of anti-cancer properties and therapeutic activity in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Mol Cancer. 2011;10(12). doi: 10.1186/1476-4598-10-12.
12. Mozaffari Nejad AS, Shabani S, Bayat M, Hosseini SE, et al. Antibacterial Effect of Garlic Aqueous Extract on Staphylococcus aureus in Hamburger. Jundishapur J Microbiol. 2014;7(11):e13134. doi: 10.5812/jjm.13134.
13. Mahassni SH, Bukhari OA, et al. Beneficial effects of an aqueous ginger extract on the immune system cells and antibodies, hematology, and thyroid hormones in male smokers and non-smokers. JNIM. 2019;15(1):10-17. doi: 10.1016/j.jnim.2018.10.001.
14. Joo JH, Hong SS, Cho YR, Seo, DW, et al. 10-Gingerol inhibits proliferation and invasion of MDA-MB-231 breast cancer cells through suppression of Akt and p38MAPK activity. Oncology Reports. 2016;35(1):779-784. doi: 10.3892/or.2015.4405.
15. Kim CS, Park S, Kim J, et al. The role of glycation in the pathogenesis of aging and its prevention through herbal products and physical exercise. J Exerc Nutrition Biochem. 2017;21(3):55-61. doi: 10.20463/jenb.2017.0027.
16. Son S, Hwang I, Han SH, Shin JS, Shin OS, Yu JW, et al. Advanced glycation end products impair NLRP3 inflammasome–mediated innate immune responses in macrophages. J Biol Chem. 2017;292(50):20437-20448. doi: 10.1074/jbc.M117.806307.
17. Son S, Hwang I, Han SH, Shin JS, Shin OS, Yu JW, et al. Advanced glycation end products impair NLRP3 inflammasome–mediated innate immune responses in macrophages. J Biol Chem. 2017;292(50):20437-20448. doi: 10.1074/jbc.M117.806307.
18. 20 Foods That Are High in Vitamin C. healthline.com. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/vitami. Accessed August 20, 2019.
19. Carr AC, Maggini S, et al. Vitamin C and Immune Function. Nutrients. 2017;9(11):1211. doi: 10.3390/nu9111211.
20. Marengo K. Probiotic foods: What to know. medicalnewstoday.com. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/323314.php. Updated October 11, 2018, Accessed August 20, 2019.
21. Yan F, Polk DB, et al. Probiotics and immune health. Curr Opin Gastroenterol. 2011;27(6):496-501. doi: 10.1097/MOG.0b013e32834baa4d.
22. Calder PC. n−3 Polyunsaturated fatty acids, inflammation, and inflammatory diseases. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2006;83(6):1505S-1519S. doi: 10.1093/ajcn/83.6.1505S.
23. Gurzell EA, Teague H, Harris M, Clinthorne J, Shaikh SR, Fenton JI, et al. DHA‐enriched fish oil targets B cell lipid microdomains and enhances ex vivo and in vivo B cell function. Journal of Leukocyte Biology. 2013;93(4):463-470. doi: 10.1189/jlb.0812394.
24. Gurzell EA, Teague H, Harris M, Clinthorne J, Shaikh SR, Fenton JI, et al. DHA‐enriched fish oil targets B cell lipid microdomains and enhances ex vivo and in vivo B cell function. Journal of Leukocyte Biology. 2013;93(4):463-470. doi: 10.1189/jlb.0812394.
25. How Much Sleep Do We Really Need? sleepfoundation.org. https://www.sleepfoundation.org/excessive-sleepiness/support/how-much-sleep-do-we-really-need. Accessed August 20, 2019.
26. Four crucial ways that sleep helps the body to heal. chicagotribune.com. https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/advertising/marketplace/ct-ss-suburbs-four-crucial-ways-that-sleep-helps-the-body-to-heal-20180112dto-story.html. Published January 16, 2018. Accessed August 20, 2019.
27. How Sleep Affects Your Immunity. sleepfoundation.org. https://www.sleepfoundation.org/articles/how-sleep-affects-your-immunity. Accessed August 20, 2019.
28. Olson EJ. Lack of sleep: Can it make you sick? mayoclinic.org. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/insomnia/expert-answers/lack-of-sleep/faq-20057757. Published November 28, 2018. Accessed August 20, 2019.
29. How Sleep Affects Your Immunity. sleepfoundation.org. https://www.sleepfoundation.org/articles/how-sleep-affects-your-immunity. Accessed August 20, 2019.
30. McLeod S. Stress, Illness and the Immune System. https://www.simplypsychology.org/stress-immune.html. Updated 2010. Accessed August 20, 2019.
31. Bumgardner W. Moderate-Intensity Level Exercises. verywellfit.com. https://www.verywellfit.com/what-is-moderate-intensity-exercise-3435400. Updated August 18, 2019. Published August 20, 2019.
32. Exercise and the Common Cold. WebMD. https://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/cold-guide/exercise-when-you-have-cold#1. Accessed August 20, 2019.
33. Nieman DC, Henson DA, Austin MD, Sha W, et al. Upper respiratory tract infection is reduced in physically fit and active adults. British Journal of Sports Medicine. 2011;45(12):987-992. https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/45/12/987. Published November 1, 2010. Accessed August 20, 2019.
34. Health Effects. smokefree.gov. https://smokefree.gov/quit-smoking/why-you-should-quit/health-effects. Accessed August 20, 2019.
35. Qui F, Liang CL, Liu H, Zeng YQ, Hou S, Huang S, Lai X, Dai Z, et al. Impacts of cigarette smoking on immune responsiveness: Up and down or upside down? Oncotarget. 2017;8(1):268-284. doi: 10.18632/oncotarget.13613.
36. Alcohol and the Immune System. nih.gov. https://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/10report/chap04b.pdf. Accessed August 20, 2019.
37. 6 Surprising Ways Alcohol Affects Your Health – Not Just Your Liver. clevelandclinic.org. https://health.clevelandclinic.org/6-surprising-ways-alcohol-affects-health-not-just-liver/. Published July 1, 2016. Accessed August 20, 2019.
38. Show Me the Science - Why Wash Your Hands? Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Retrieved from https://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/why-handwashing.html.
39. Show Me the Science - How to Wash Your Hands. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Retrieved from https://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/show-me-the-science-handwashing.html.